6/27/2010

Stitches and Confirmation

I got my first stitches this week. That is, the first stitches I was awake to get. I cut my finger open on a knife. The real kicker? I had just opened the package, which said, "Caution: Blade is sharp." I rolled my eyes and wondered Who is stupid enough to cut themselves on a kitchen knife? It turns out I am.

But anyway. There's a family that has been in the hospital for over a week now. I say family because the dad was the patient last week, and his son and daughter-in-law kept him company. This week, the son was the patient. The entire time they've been there, they've been nothing but easy-to-please, appreciative, and just plain wonderful.
The son, who is probably about my dad's age, looked at me this morning and said, "Wow, you look nice today! Do you have a hot date tonight or somethin'?" (His personality is very much like my dad's, too, so I knew he didn't mean to be creepy.) His wife came in to say hello this morning, left for church, and came back after church was over. He, on the other hand, sat in his chair and took notes while some TV pastor was preaching.
Lunch was late today, and it came up in conversation when I went in to check on his roommate. We chatted about "normal" times to eat, and I mentioned that when I'm at school, I always eat lunch at noon unless I skip chapel. The next time I came in, he asked me where I was in college, and I told him I go to Roberts. It turns out, his pastor's son goes there (and is a super-fantastic pianist).
I met his pastor (who stopped in after lunch) and spoke with him for a bit - what a great guy. I went to say goodbye before I left today (I know, I know, who does that? But in my defense, he's probaby getting discharged soon and I'm off tomorrow.) and told him and his wife that I really enjoyed talking with them and that I hope they all stay out of the hospital for a while. He looked at me and said, "You know, you're in the right field. Good luck on your last year in college. You really stand out here - keep it up."

And I knew. Hearing that from a patient was simply confirmation to me that I am where God wants me. I'm pursuing something that I'm not only fascinated by, but that I'm good at. I was so encouraged. Even though I missed church this morning, God spoke loudly and clearly through one man who was willing to open his mouth and say something kind. I am in awe.

No comments:

Post a Comment